Remdesivir, Favipiravir, Chloroquine, and lopinavir/ritonavir drugs come effectively to treat mild to moderate COVID-19 patients. Generally, these drugs decreased the virus load and enhanced the patient’s recovery rate.
Remdesivir, a broad-spectrum antiviral drug developed by Gilead sciences pharmaceutical company.
- Route of administration by injection
- mechanism of action:- Active metabolite of remdesivir interfere with the action of RDRP( RNA dependent RNA polymerase) and decrease viral RNA production.
- brand name VEKLURY
Favipiravir, an antiviral drug generally used to treat influenza due to the property of decreased viral load. favipiravir also used to treat in case of mild COVID-19 patients. In India, GLENMARK’S gets accelerated approval for Favipiravir to treat corona patients.
- Route of administration oral by tablets
- Mechanism of action:- interferes the action of RDRP
- Brand name AVIGAN and FABIFLU
Chloroquine, an antimalarial drug also used to treat mild COVID-19 patients. But due to adverse effects on cardiac activity, clinical trials disapproved.
- mechanism of action:- 1.drug interferes with ACE-2 receptors, thus the virus not bind properly with ACE-2 2. drug increase the PH of acidic cellular organelles, so altered post-translation modification of newly synthesized polyprotein.
Lopinavir/Ritonavir used to treat HIV/AIDS. Due to the property of decreased viral load also effective in the case of COVID -19.
- mechanism of action:- Inhibit protease that results in the formation of defective virus and viral load decrease.
- brand name KALETRA